If you’ve found yourself asking “Do I need a new roof?” it is likely time to check in with a professional on the state of your roof. While each roof may come with a unique set of symptoms when it is time for replacement, there are 5 surefire signs to spot roof damage that will require a roof replacement. Spot checking your roof is easy and can help you determine whether or not to call a professional in. From the ground, if you can see any type of breakage in your shingles, wet spots, stains, plant growth, or even missing shingles are all good indicators that professional intervention is needed. From inside of your house, if you are experiencing any leakage, mold, or mildew on the ceiling, or any soft or wet spots in your ceiling, a roof replacement is needed. If there are any signs of roof damage that you’re not sure about, it is best to call a professional. If you’re taking a peek at your roof to determine when to call a professional, check for these 5 signs that your roof needs replacing.
5 Signs You Need a New Roof:
- Your roof is old. Generally, if your house is built in a neighborhood it is likely the same age as surrounding homes. If you notice your neighbors getting roof replacements, it is recommended to call in a professional to check out the age of your home and help you determine what the best course of action is. Typically, a three-tab shingle roof will last 15 to 20 years, but in Georgia with heavy winds and storms, your roof may require a replacement sooner rather than later. Routine roofing maintenance can help extend the life of your roof, but often a replacement is necessary once a roof lasts past a certain age.
- You’re experiencing leaking, mold, or soft spots on ceilings. One of the most obvious signs you need a new roof is leaking, mold or fungus growth inside, and soft spots on ceilings. Soft spots look like bubbles of fluid (because they are!) within your ceiling and can be felt by gently pushing or prodding these spots to see if there is any give. Additionally, if leaking is occurring, it is imperative to replace your roof as soon as possible to prevent any further damage from happening within your home.
- Ineffective shingles. If you notice missing shingles or damaged shingles that are curling, cracking, breaking, or losing granules, you will definitely want to call a professional for a roof inspection to determine the extent of the roof damage. Even one missing shingle can wreak havoc on your sub-roof and can create further problems if left unremedied. Before you end up with holes in the ceilings or bad leaking, it is best to have a Roofwell expert help you determine how to fix your roof!
- Your roof looks like a garden. Gardens on the ground are great – but on your roof? Not so much! The growth of mold, fungus, and other plant life can indicate there is moisture trapped within your roof and that your roof is not properly ventilated. Without proper ventilation, your roof can become overly saturated with moisture than can in turn become larger leaks or problems. If you notice any type of greenery on your roof, it is best to call a professional to take a look and see how to remedy the issue.
- Inconsistent shingle color. Shingles with different colors aren’t just aesthetically bad, but they also can signal deeper problems that your roof has! Checking out the uniformity of your shingle colors is one of the easiest ways to spot a roofing problem. Are there darker spots in the shaded areas, or where water, snow, or debris may stay stuck for longer? If so – this discoloration can be a sign that you need to have your roof replaced.
What Should You Do If You Think It’s Time For A Roof Replacement?
Do you need a new roof? Each roof is unique, and not every roof will have all of these signs, if any, to indicate that it needs replacing! If you are concerned about your roof, the only way to be sure of its conditions is to have a professional inspection conducted. If you would like a free inspection to determine your best course of action with your roof, contact Roofwell here to schedule an inspection or speak with a professional today!
If you are interested to learn how replacing your roof can add value when it comes time to sell, you can see what the experts have to say here. And for more information about roof replacement and tips on how to protect your roof from the harsh weather in Georgia, visit our blog here!